Easy Cassoulet with Smoked Sausage and Ham
- 6-8 slices Coleman Natural Bacon, cut into small matchstick pieces
- 1 package Coleman Natural Polish Kielbasa, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound Coleman Natural Ham, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2, 14.5-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, slightly crushed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Preheat oven to 350° F.
2 Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the bacon; cook until crispy and then remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the sausage to the skillet, brown in the bacon fat, and then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain off excess fat from the skillet.
3 Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the skillet and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4 Add the garlic and wine and deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to lift any of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until the wine is nearly evaporated.
5 Combine the cooked vegetables with the bacon, sausage, ham, white beans, thyme, stock, and tomatoes in a large bowl and gently stir together. Pour into a 3-quart oven-safe casserole dish or two smaller casserole dishes.
6 Heat the olive oil and garlic cloves in a small skillet over medium high heat until the garlic is fragrant, about a minute. Remove the garlic cloves and discard; stir in the breadcrumbs until they are coated evenly with olive oil.
7 Remove from the heat and combine with the parsley. Pour the breadcrumbs over the cassoulet and bake uncovered for 1 hour.