Sourdough Stuffing with Kielbasa, Pine Nuts and Currants
- 1 package Coleman Natural Polish Kielbasa sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 10 cups sourdough bread cut into small cubes
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shelled pine nuts
- 1/2 cup dried currants
1 Preheat oven to 350° F.
2 Arrange bread in single layers on 2 cookie sheets with sides. Bake for 20 minutes or until well toasted. Turn oven off and leave pans in oven for 30 minutes or until bread is dry and crisp.
3 Remove bread and turn oven back on to 350° F.
4 Generously butter the inside of an oven-proof, 4-6 quarter baking dish, large enough to hold all of the ingredients. Set aside.
5 In a large mixing bowl, add bread cubes, kielbasa, onion, celery, herbs, pine nuts, currants and a dash of pepper. Pour in chicken stock or milk (if using) and gently stir until well combined.
6 Transfer stuffing to buttered baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook 20 minutes or until browned.
7 Serve hot.