Sourdough Stuffing with Kielbasa, Pine Nuts and Currants
- 1 (12-ounce) package Coleman Natural Polish Kielbasa sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 10 cups sourdough bread cut into ½” to 1” cubes (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups finely chopped onion, approximately 2 medium onions
- 1 cup finely chopped celery, approximately 3 ribs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock or milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Arrange bread in single layers on 2 cookie sheets with sides. Bake for 20 minutes or until well toasted. Turn oven off and leave pans in oven for 30 minutes or until bread is dry and crisp.
Remove bread and turn oven back on to 350° F.
Generously butter the inside of an oven-proof, 4-6 quarter baking dish, large enough to hold all of the ingredients. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add bread cubes, kielbasa, onion, celery, herbs and pepper. Pour in chicken stock or milk (if using) and gently stir until well combined.
Transfer stuffing to buttered baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook 20 minutes or until browned.