Savory Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Scones
- 1/2 cup cooked, chopped Coleman Natural bacon (approx. 4 slices)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Clover Organic Unsalted Butter, chilled & cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
1 Preheat oven to 425° F.
2 In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, garlic powder and salt). Cut in cubes of cold butter with a pastry blender until the mixture is incorporated and crumbly.
3 Stir in bacon, buttermilk, cheese, basil and chives until a soft dough forms. Do not over mix.
4 Place the dough on a lightly floured cloth, or floured stone countertop, and knead lightly just until it comes together. Use your hands to shape dough into a 9” circle, about 1” thickness. Cut into 8 wedges with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
5 Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat, or parchment paper. Place dough wedges onto the prepared sheet, about 1” apart.
6 Bake on center oven rack for 18-20 minutes until puffed and lightly browned.
7 Remove scones from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Serve immediately with warm butter.