Bacon, Egg and Veggie Pizza
For the Pizza Dough*
- 1 ¼ teaspoons or ½ packet of dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups unbleached white flour
- *note: you can use store-bought dough if you prefer and skip to the last paragraph of instructions
For the Pizza Toppings
- 4-6 strips Coleman Natural bacon
- 3-4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- (optional) cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm water and yeast using the dough hook attachment. Let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes. With the mixer running on low, add the flour and salt and mix until a ball forms and dough pulls away from sides of bowl. If the dough is still quite sticky, coast your hands with flour and transfer dough to an oiled bowl. Cover bowl with a clean towel and let dough rise for 1 hour.
While the dough rises, cook bacon until fat renders out and it is nearly cooked through but don’t allow it to get too crispy. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
Preheat the oven (using a pizza stone, if you have one) to 475° F.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough to a 13-inch circle. Dust a pizza peel with cornmeal and place the dough on it. (If you don’t have a pizza stone or pizza peel, place the dough on a baking sheet lightly coated with cornmeal.)
Evenly spread broccoli and mushrooms over the pizza. Sprinkle mozzarella over vegetables, then top with bacon slices spaced like spokes of a wheel and crack eggs in between bacon slices. Transfer the pizza to the pizza stone (or place the baking sheet in the oven, if you don’t have a stone) and bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browning in places and eggs are fully cooked.