Ribollita Soup with Ham
- 3/4 lb Coleman Natural Ham, cut into ½” cubes
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 4 cups bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Watch step-by-step video or get started below!
2 Place a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat, and add olive oil, onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until vegetables become tender.
3 Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer, making sure garlic softens but doesn’t begin to brown.
4 Add tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaf, sage, thyme black pepper, beans, kale and ham. Stir to combine.
5 Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, allowing flavors to meld.
6 Meanwhile preheat oven to broil. Coat torn pieces of bread with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and place under broiler until slightly brown, being careful not to burn them.
7 Add browned chucks of bread to soup pot, barely incorporating them so they don’t get soggy.
8 Ladle soup into bowls and top each bowl with Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.
Leave out the bread to make this recipe gluten-free and keto diet friendly!