- Cut off any excess fat off the pork butt. Place in a slow cooker.
- Add the BBQ sauce, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, thyme, diced onion and garlic cloves. Stir a bit to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the pork from the cooker and place on a cutting board. With two forks, shred the meat, discarding any excess fat.
- Before returning the shredded pork back to the slow cooker, remove the excess fat from the liquid still in the cooker. Do this by waiting about 10 minutes after the cooker has been shut off and skim off the fat with by one of three methods: Use paper towels or pieces of white bread and skimming the top of the liquid; using a large spoon to skim the top of the liquid where the fat will be located or pour through a fat separator.
- Return the shredded pork to the de-fatted liquid and reheat the cooker on high for about 15 minutes, tossing well to combine the liquid with the meat. Add additional BBQ sauce to taste.
7.Serve on your favorite soft roll (with dill pickles) or on its own.
*Cooks note: You can also make this recipe using a Dutch oven. On the stove top, brown the pork butt in a bit of oil, turning it to brown on all sides of the butt. Then add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and place the covered Dutch oven in a 300 degree oven for 3 hours.