Kid Friendly Chili Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs
- 4 links Coleman Natural Uncured Beef Hot Dogs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 8 ounces dry short pasta
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat and add the oil. Add the franks and the diced onions and cook, stirring, until the onions soften a bit, about 2 minutes.
2 Add the tomato paste, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and chipotle powder and stir together. Add the tomatoes, pasta, and water, stir together, and cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer and cook according to the cooking time on the pasta package directions.
3 Stir in the parsley, cilantro, and cheese and serve.
Because the franks, canned tomatoes, and cheese all contain salt, the recipe doesn’t call for any additional salt. If needed, adjust the seasoning at the end before serving.