Hearty Lentils with Kielbasa
- 1 12-ounce Coleman Natural Polish Kielbasa, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 pound green lentils
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 quart water, more if needed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
In a large pot, heat the oil over moderate heat.
Add the celery, onion, and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes.
Add the lentils, tomatoes, water, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over moderately high heat. Add the kielbasa and cook, turning, until browned, 3-5 minutes.
Stir the kielbasa into the lentils and simmer for 5 minutes. If the lentils are too thick for your taste, thin them with additional water.
Leftovers can be frozen for up to one month.